Monday, June 13, 2011

Turner Landscape: Celebrating 40 Years in 'Toon' with his Times




































Martyn is now celebrating a 40 year birthday in drawing great cartoons
So hooray for his insight into politicians, despots, villains and mad loons
For he merges humour and terse words with great images in pen and ink
Of this wide human spectrum as there is no bottom to which some will sink

Here he has portrayed the vanities of Haughey, Ahern and others with unerring eye
And with his expert sketches and concise words has made pundits eat humble pie
Abroad he has featured Gadaffi, Gorbachev, Franco, Thatcher and even Tony Blair
With a unique humorous perception that would make even them smile to be fair.

In the North he has lampooned IRA bombers and Orange men marching with brollies
While in the South he has cleverly linked our Bank Bailouts to abject political follies
In Environmental concerns he has warned of the dangers of Chernobyl and Sellafield
And in Public Life of a motley crew of corrupt politicians who wheeled and dealed

Of course all his cartoons are expertly drawn and he’s a great caricaturist, it’s true
But as you’ve probably like me spent 40 years loving them, that’s not news to you.
In Saturday’s paper he tells Kathy Sherdian about listening to the radio and a 7am start
And of dwelling on concepts and cucumbers to set a vision of the food scare apart.

I myself have a confession to make as every day I firstly search the Times for his work
And if I don’t find it I look blankly at the page in despair and feel like going berserk
Ah wait, didn’t I myself feature in one of his fine drawings which my fond daughter got
But it’s a privilege to be included within such a gallery of chancers and the odd media lot.

Many may not know that he started out when England won 1966 World Cup Soccer fame
So I’ll have no problem being long entertained if he works until they win that Cup again
I suppose like him I could start living in France or even consider acquiring an Irish Setter
But really I would much prefer to just follow his cartoons as I genuinely know no better

So let’s raise a glass and send Happy Birthday wishes to a cartoonist who is the real deal
That is until tomorrow or the next day when I can savour his latest cartoon with my meal
Thanks to Martyn then for all the laughs and the insight and toon punchlines set to tease
For without your cartoons, life would just be all too dreary with certainly less to please.

Note: Photos taken from Saturday's Irish Times and Martyn Turner book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment