Monday, August 16, 2010

Life is a Lemon,Twitter is a Peach?




As I recently set off on a working/leisure break I was listening on the car radio to the Meatloaf CD track ‘Life is a lemon and I want my money back’ and thinking how enjoyable the music was but how little this lyrical sentiment reflected my situation at that time. However, on later perusing the tweets/comments on my last Man Code Lovable Lion blog, I began to wonder if indeed life was a lemon for some people on my phone cyberspace at least. You see, most of the sentiments expressed seems to warmly embrace the exaggerated ‘humour’ of the piece but unfortunately a small number of others seemed to have been left with sour lemon like taste and to take the blog as having a ‘serious’ intent. I do not wish to take issue with peoples likes or dislikes where any of my blog entries are concerned but I am mystified how this banal little verse could cause offense to anyone. So let me offer a little background explanation as a courtesy to any hurt feelings. The intention of all my blog verses is simply to amuse and any little teasing of others is undertaken solely to elicit a similar amusing response. Thus for example, in my last humble effort, I set out a paean to the ‘supposed’ lion like quality of the male not as an attack on any female identity or writing but simply as an attempt to illicit some humour from the perpetual misunderstandings which can arise in relationships between the sexes. I of course fully realise that for every ‘cougar woman’ there is at least 2/3 cheetah(er?) men and that many men exhibit the qualities of a barely house trained alley cat more than that of the proud lion in their home life. However, I was simply trying to set out a humorous case in ‘light’ verse for a perspective on the ‘male’ as a lion like creature because every lion has his ‘pride’ in family relationships. (Aagh!) If some prefer to see the male as more of an alley cat that a lion, that is there undoubted privilege.

I think the ‘verse’ form itself could also be the cause of some misunderstandings especially when used with rhyming couplets. Some followers of mine have expressed great appreciation of these ‘poems’. However, I myself think of them as mere rough ‘stones’ rather than poetic gems. To me they are merely crude instruments of language employed for short term fun. Thus while many people also consider Twitter to be a social media ‘ Peach’, I feel that in the case of my blog entries at least, one should be forewarned that even peaches can contain some large stones and that this fact should be borne in mind when consuming the verse content of my blog.

My own interest in Twitter relates more to sharing blog entries than to short 140 character tweets and I do not see any advantage is seeking an ever increasing band of followers. I myself started tweeting as a means of ‘filling in’ time, sometimes in a hopefully amusing way as a counterbalance to the current recession which has reduced my opportunity to work at my profession. However, I’m glad to report that my work has begun to increase again and hence I do not intend to spend as much time as previously on the social net. However, I would be pleased to continue to share my views by blog and tweet with others on Twitter when the opportunity presents itself.

May I end this blog entry therefore by sincerely thanking all those who have taken and indeed continue to take the time to share their views with me however critical?

All I ask in return is that I do not be totally misunderstood.

To those who expressed ‘dismay’ at my absence from Twitter in recent weeks, may I gladly report therefore that the Lion (pussycat) is back in the Jungle!! Meow? Roar?


PS: See blog Entry for April 12th 2010: Please Don't let me Be Misunderstood!

No comments:

Post a Comment