Sunday, September 26, 2010

Culture Night in Galway-Charlie 'Byrne' after Reading?













































In the economic desert like atmosphere pervading the social life of Galway City in the last two years, the bookshop being run by Charlie Byrne and his staff remains an oasis of mental sustenance and a beacon for renewal of the human spirit. The shop not only provides a huge range of new and second hand books covering a very diverse range of subjects but also acts as a forum for authors to read from and publicise their works at public readings. Thus when my wife and I visited on Friday last as part of a Cultural Night experience in Galway, I was particularly gratified to listen to a very wide range of new and established writers reading short stories and poems. To my surprise, they also had some people reading non fiction works with subjects ranging from an Irishman’s prophetic early warning of Nazi influence in Poland prior to the Second World War to a history of ASTI, the secondary school teachers association. However, while you listen to these authors you are also given an opportunity to enjoy a glass of wine and to explore the vast number of books on display in the shop during your visit. I must say that I came away, not only with a deeper appreciation of the quality and commitment of a number of Galway writers that I previously had no knowledge about, but also acquired four diverse and interesting books during my Friday visit.

On a light, but important note nevertheless, I discovered a slim volume on ‘The Right Way to keep Chickens’ (those following my blog will know how important it is to keep my Rhode Island Red Chickens happy for good egg production), a very interesting and beautifully illustrated book on Irish Names (which lead me to realise for the first time why I had been called COLM, it being the Feast Day of that Saint on the Day of my birth, but still leaves me bemused unfortunately about the source of my twin brothers name- perhaps just an afterthought, I having been born first), and two books of short stories. The first book called ‘The Wind across the Grass’ is by Nuala Ni Chonchuir, whom I know from both her Twitter site and the fine newspaper reviews of her work. I had been promising myself for some time that I would read one of her books and was glad of the opportunity of acquiring it on Friday last.

However, the biggest and most thought provoking surprise to me was the book of short stories called ‘The West’ by Eddie Stack. On flicking through the slim volume I could see that his work was likened to that of the author Myles na Gopalean (a favourite of mine) by one eminent reviewer. Furthermore the cover artwork, showing an artistic painting of ‘Blake’s Corner’ in Ennistymon, Co. Clare also struck a cord with me as I had taken some photos there of my two children some twenty years ago and I had both cherished photos and indeed memories of that place. So when I got up the following morning I read a few of Mr Stack’s stories and found them to be beautifully written and wonderfully human and comic in tone and expression.



I was so impressed by his writing that I managed to contact him on Twitter to express my admiration at his achievement and to wish him well in any future endeavours. I must say that I returned to Charlie Byrnes on the Sunday afternoon where I was able to acquire the CD mentioned in his book blurb which includes not only Mr Stack reading four of his short stories but also accompanying music by the renowned traditional Irish musicians, Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill. The CD is simply called ‘The West’ and is promoted by Tintaun records, in County Galway.

So if you think that a ‘Night at the Museum’ can make an interesting film or two, you should not underestimate the pleasure that can also be gained by a ‘Night at the Bookshop’, particularly if it is organised and run by Charlie Byrnes Galway staff!

Note:


1) The title of this little blog owes a gratitude to the wonderful Coen Brothers movie:

'Burn after reading' which is highly recommended also.

2) I love the sentiment of the poster for Kenny's Galway Bookshop by Gertrude Dagengardt;

'It's About Time to have a Good Time'- too true!!
All comments and musings welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Colm,

    A night at a bookshop in Galway sounds heavenly.

    And what a discovery--the meaning of your name. I feel like I'm listening to you speak when you write (I can't quite come up with the proper accent yet).

    Your writing is so vivid and intelligent and funny and informative--I save a special time of day just to read your posts. They are meant to savor, not gobble through.

    Thank you Colm,
    All my best from Austin TX Allie Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely exploration of a Friday night at a bookshop. I love your writing and the lilt of your words.

    ReplyDelete