Monday, September 6, 2010

Home,Home on the (Free) Range! La! La!





It has always seemed strange to me how the behaviour of many pet owners comes in time to resemble that of their pets. Who among you hasn’t noticed some elderly person walking down the street with a rambling gait very similar to the dog accompanying them on a lead? However, this tendency for owners to acquire many of the characteristics of their long cherished pets, is not confined to those with dogs. I have to admit that I have also become aware of some very strange cat like behavioural tendencies, not to mention those commonly ascribed to pet birds and even reptiles. Of course, I have usually viewed such behaviour with a superior if not wholly condescending attitude. Although I myself have an aging domestic cat outside the house, I am certainly not aware of any tendency however slight to mimic her behaviour. Indeed, I may be thought of as the ‘cats pyjamas’ by some of my friends but that is certainly where any cat association ends.

I was certainly shocked therefore to see my wife studying me surreptitiously at the computer one evening only for her to suddenly announce that I am beginning to exhibit serious ‘hen’ like behavioural characteristics, especially on twitter. I was a little taken aback at first but then realised happily that she must be referring to the way I puff up my chest and proudly ‘cluck’ away at my little blog treats. I was therefore ‘cock a hoop’ with pride for a while and thanked my good wife profusely for her kind insight. However, she soon dissuaded me from this viewpoint when she stated that although she did not wish to ‘ruffle my feathers’, she firmly believed that I was imitating our Rhode Island Reds in the way that I scratched about on the twitter site constantly foraging for tweeds (tweet seeds)!
Needless to say I was aghast. I can only say that I felt (de)based and barbecued in one foul sweep. HENce I have decided to be extra careful in my tweeting behaviour from now on. I have had to stop humming ‘Home, Home on the (free) range’, (where nothing is heard of a discouraging word), I only go on twitter when there are no family 'Hens' about to criticise me and I have decided to accept the contents of even the most ‘poultry’(paltry) blog as interesting! Well, with good wife constantly ready to ‘cook my goose’, as it were, what more could you EGGspect!


Warning Note: This blog entry is for light ‘comic’ relief only so I should not be considered a hen pecked husband as a result!

P.S: This blog is best appreciated while listening to the song ‘Home on the Range’ which I believe is the state song of Kansas! Good grief!

1 comment:

  1. Hee, hee. I really enjoyed this post and am similarly astounded that 'Home on the Range' is the anthem of the great state of Kansas! Have often found that many pet owners resemble their chosen animal, but have never looked closely at, er, behavioural tics before. Will keep a keen eye from here on in.

    Oh, now I have the bloody song (which I haven't sung in about 35 years) going around in my head. So, thanks for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete