Monday, May 3, 2010

Fishing with John Wayne at The Quiet Man Bridge













































































Bank Holiday Monday was a beautiful sunny day and so I headed to Connemara to fish beside Leam Bridge which featured in 'The Quiet Man' Movie with John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara in 1952. Although no fish were caught-too sunny, too little breeze and believe it or no, too little water in the Lake! (fishermen always have several excuses to hand to explain such a situation). The scenery there however was breathtaking and so when i had finished fishing I decided to add some photos to a blog to record my wonderful day. However, as I was leaving I found that the Tourist Board has erected a sign showing a photo of John Wayne beside Leam Bridge which featured prominently in the movie. Although a lot of people regard the film in retrospect as stage Irish Hokum, I feel that if it is taken as a simple romantic comedy it is very enjoyable indeed. Hence I would recommend seeing not only the movie itself but also some of the film locations which are still as beautiful as ever. Key among these are Leam Bridge in Connemara and of course Cong in County Mayo where a pint can still be enjoyed in the pub featured in the movie. Finally, I have added an amazon book reference below for those inclined to explore the background to the film.




Oh! You can always sing 'Galway Bay' as well!!




































1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Colm. Makes me want to go back to Cong and the west. What fabulous light you have there - like no other place.
    mb

    ReplyDelete