Saturday, May 8, 2010

Whine of the WeeK: On the Pig's Ear!


This blog is a celebration of a 14th century painting, a lovely children's book and a fine wine! The painting is a spectacular fresco by Ambrogio Lorenzetti which is housed in Siena's Palazzo Pubblico. A central feature of this lovely painting is a black pig with a white stripe of the breed known as Cinta Senese which I believe can still be seen on the hills above Siena. In the painting one of these pigs is being brought to market, and this simple painting is the inspiration for a lovely children's book by Nancy Shroyer Howard called 'Mischief in Tuscany'. I bought this book when visiting there with my grandson, the lovely Sean (Giovanni), as a token of his interest in the city, its animals and indeed his own unique brand of mischief. I hope when he is older he can use the book as a catalyst for recalling his visit to the Tuscany area and especially Siena. The wine I bought to add to my own collection of distinctive wine labels as it features the same fresco and pig. While I hope to keep this book safely for Sean, I'm afraid that keeping the wine until he is 'of age' would not be practical! So, lets therefore raise a glass and drink a toast to Sean, Siena and of course the little black pig! But be careful don't get 'sow'zled'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment