Tuesday, March 23, 2010

David Hockney-'Inspiration never Visits the Lazy'




The title of this piece refers to an answer given by David Hockney to a question about the difficulty of the artist functioning in current society. (see earlier tweet) As a unique and gifted photographer, illustrator, print maker and stage designer he has made a major contribution to affirming the positive joys associated with the use of vibrant colour in modern art. I must confess to being extremely jealous as an architect of his amazing use of strong colour combinations in his own house in Los Angeles. However, it was at an exhibition at the Centre George Pompidou in Paris some years ago where I truly began to appreciate his genius for the first time as I was simply amazed at his ability to capture on a huge canvas the sheer magnitude and vitality associated with the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I reproduce here a photo of this work to encourage people to look more carefully at the scale of his vision and expert execution of such a difficult project. Indeed, a further illustration of this work can be found on the CD cover of the music by Messiaen:Des Canyons Aux Etoiles on the Deutsche Grammophone Label (2002). I am unfortunately not in a position to acquire one of his artistic works but even the cover of his books and by reference to a poster displayed centrally in our open plan living area, I feel that the positive energy and joy of bright colour permeates our humble abode. Thus, even on a cloudy or dull day, a little bit of sunshine radiates from the brightness and colour of his vibrant work.

1 comment:

  1. I am not an artist, but wished to paint in watercolor the Canyon as I experienced - interestingly, I imagined muted colors, waves like skirts, pale and dream like.

    ReplyDelete