Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Yes: No New is Good News?


I have been an avid follower of the news as broadcast in Ireland for a long time and have over time extended my listening from the main news bulletins to programmes like Prime Time and the Frontline, among others. I have even had recourse to Aertel text pages and the internet to keep abreast of the latest dramatic events on the world stage as they evolve. However, in recent times I have a disturbing feeling that I have heard it all before and that I am having the news regurgitated, as it were, and repackaged each day as something NEW! Last week for example, I was informed on several days that the American Government stood by the ‘democratic’ principles underlying Israel’s’ occupation of Gaza, that Mary Harney should be replaced as health minister, that the Catholic Church in Ireland has emphasised its political responsibility in face of moral outrage over the behaviour of paedophile priests and that Kathy Price is still with the same man as the previous week. Hardly New or even News worthy! Furthermore, in the Business Analysis programmes on our wretched economy, we have the usual parade of economists from U.C. twee or wherever, trotting out the same mantra of doom. No I’m afraid like the Dude character in the Big Lebowski film, I have to say that ‘this will not wash’. So I am eagerly looking forward to hearing a Morning Ireland announcement that in all honesty, there is No News Today!! In order to avoid total silence, not itself a bad thing, they could extend the time given over to the pealing of an angelus bell and might even give a one minute synopsis such as:

Israel still acting the bollocks in Gaza, Cowen says we have turned corner, NAMA needs more dosh and Your ‘wan’ is still with your ‘man’.

And then let’s have some soothing music to help us face the Day ahead. I suggest the ‘Sound of Silence’ might be appropriate.

So when I’m asked if I am fed up listening to the ‘News’ when it really should be called the ‘Olds’, my answer is a resounding YES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment