Sunday, March 14, 2010

You Make My Pants Want to Get Up and Dance


When I was rummaging through the sale stock at my local record store last week I came across the cd of ‘Dr Hook-completely Hooked’ being the best of Dr Hook and the Medicine Show from the early seventies. This cd brought back some happy memories of that time as my wife and I would play Dr Hook music in the car for our two girls, who would have been about 8 and 5 at the time, when we were travelling on long journeys. We were not sure just how much of the lyrics they took in but we knew that they were happy to sing along to the tunes, with a special favourite being ‘the Cover of the Rolling Stone’. In fact, everyone was so taken by this tune that this Dad even made a photo collage of a Rolling Stone magazine front page with a photo of the family smiling on the cover. In a sense, it encapsulated our little familys ‘moment of fame’ if only within the confines of our home. I’m pleased to relate that we still have the framed picture in the house as a keep sake. However, I still recall being amused at the time to hear our youngest girl describing what she considered to me the ‘stuck up’ manner of one of her friends when she said that the person considered herself to be ’the Queen of the Silver Dollar’ which of course is the title of one of Dr. Hooks’ songs. We then began to realise that the girls were taking in a bit more of the lyrics than we had first imagined.

Both girls are now in their mid twenties and Shelly tells me that she has started to play Dr Hook for her own two children. When I played this cd the other day and looked back on the photo montage for the first time in some years I was feeling very sentimental and nostalgic for the musical interlude provided by the music of Dr Hook both in the seventies and continuing today. So when I was thinking of how to celebrate Mothers Day in a small way I was trying to encapsulate these precious memories and in so doing to thank all my precious family, and especially Mothers on this Day,for their part as they say in Hollywood, in making this movie (stream of consciousness) possible. My way of gratitude and appreciation, I can do no better therefore than to refer to part of the lyrics of one of Dr Hooks songs:

‘You Make My Pants Want to Get Up and Dance,
You make my Face want to Grin’

Happy Mothers Day to all the ‘girls’ in my family and best wishes to Dr Hook fans everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment