Thursday, March 25, 2010

Is Wine Name a reflection of Iconic Fame?


I know that it is often said that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover but is it reasonable to come to a similar conclusion about wine bottle labels and there contents. I must admit that I have become an avid collector of ‘iconic’ bottles, the names on which I have referred to previously on this web page in the case of Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe. However, I fully realise that this is not necessarily a good reflection on my taste for fine wine but it certainly beats collecting stamps, for example, because when one becomes tired of the practice, one can always consume the contents of one’s ‘case’ study, as it were. I offer a photograph with this little discourse showing a wine label celebrating Napoleon Bonaparte (from the island of Elba) and one celebrating Che Guevara (from Italy, the home of the revolution, Berlusconi please copy!) As I haven’t yet imbibed the contents of either bottle, I was wondering if anyone could wet my appetite by venturing a guess as to the taste sensation that I might expect to enjoy. For example, will the Napoleon wine have a full bodied Emperor like quality, to be drunk with one hand firmly placed in one’s waistcoat for balance and a recommendation that it should only be consumed in small sips at a time lest one was to meet one’s Waterloo! The Che Guevara wine I feel might offer a more powerful revolutionary taste and might be enjoyed with a fine Cuban cigar but it might best be appreciated in battle fatigue clothes. It might however not age well and could hardly be said to offer the prospect of a rich taste. So you can see my dilemma, I known from experience that a fine wine does not maketh the man but what I am confused about here is whether the fine man maketh the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment