Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shoes,Blues and Medici News In Dublin!




In Dublin for 6 Nations Match at weekend, I almost missed game due to soreness and abrasions to toes/heels caused by wearing 'hard' leather shoes instead of usual soft ones. I could hardly walk on Saturday morning and was 'saved' by an impromptu visit to the 'Vienna' shoe shop in Blackrock where I was pleasantly surprised to obtain a pair of 'Geox' shoes which I know from experience to be the most comfortable in the world. Special thanks to them therefore, as my agony was soothed in minutes and my weekend was 'back on track' as it were. Also called to 'Wine Sixty Four' in Glasthule where I had a lovely coffee with my 'good wife' while sitting outside in the sunshine and later inside came across an interesting red wine. Called 'Barco Reale di Carmignano', the grapes come from the ancient Medici, 'Barco Reale' or royal property, mentioned by the Grand Duke Cosimo the third in 1716. This wine will hopefully make a nice companion to the many historical books which I am currently reading on the fascinating Medici legacy in Italy. However, my quiet satisfaction at the turn of the weekends events was shattered when I went to the Match!! Blues returned big time, I'm afraid, and this time in the shade of the dark blue of Scotland. Still, life is more important than any game as the history of the Medici clan can easily testify and I have returned to my own humble little Galway 'barco' to drink a toast both to the Irish team and to the Medici, both I'm afraid frustrated by destiny in the execution of their 'grand' plans!!

No comments:

Post a Comment